Mandatory race gear to be carried with all individuals at ALL times:
- race passport (one per team, provided)
- race maps (one set per team, provided)
- Writing Utensil
- Waterproof jacket
- Water carrying capacity of at least 64oz
- extra long sleeve base layer
- full finger gloves (bike gloves ok)
- warm hat or buff
- whistle (attached and within reach at all times)
- space blanket
- compass (at least one per team)
- Bear Spray and knowledge of its use (at least one per team, easily accessible–NOT buried deep in your backpack!!) Check out this video for how to be safe in bear country, and this one about using bear spray. Although encounters are unlikely, there are black and grizzly bears in the area you will be traveling. We have several extras to lend out – email us to reserve.
- first aid kit (one per team). Recommended: Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight .7, or build your own based on its contents
- cell phone with fully charged battery (one per team). For use as a camera or in case of emergency only. Using your cell phone for navigation is cheating and will get you disqualified.
- water purification, drops or filter, one per team
- way to keep maps dry (one per team) **Maps will not be waterproof
- Headlamp with fresh batteries (Highly recommended for Wolpertinger participants, if you plan to get all the checkpoints)
- way to keep gear dry in case it rains
- Bug Repellent
- Extra pair of socks
- altimeter and knowledge of its use (Please note that GPS devices are not allowed to track altitude or distance, even if the GPS is turned off. Bike odometers are okay as long as they don’t use a satellite signal).
- Long pants for off-trail travel (if you wear shorts, your legs are guaranteed to get scratched!)
- duct tape (you never know what might need fixing!)
- running gaiters
- extra layers depending on weather. You never know what you might get in June!
- Map board for bike
Mandatory bike gear:
- Mountain Bike (we recommend a tune-up before race day…a broken bike mid-race is a big bummer!)
- Bike Helmet
- spare tube
- pump or CO2 canisters (at least one per team)
- tool kit (one per team)