Mandatory race gear to be carried with all individuals at ALL times:
- race passport (one per team, provided)
- race maps (one set per team, provided)
- Writing Utensil
- Waterproof jacket
- Water carrying capacity of at least 64oz
- extra long sleeve base layer
- full finger gloves (bike gloves ok)
- warm hat or buff
- whistle (attached and within reach at all times)
- space blanket
- compass (at least one per team)
- Headlamp with fresh batteries (24 hour racers only)
- Bear Spray and knowledge of its use (at least one per team, easily accessible–NOT buried deep in your backpack!!) Check out this video for how to be safe in bear country, and this one about using bear spray. Although encounters are unlikely, there are black and grizzly bears in the area you will be traveling. We have several extras to lend out – email us to reserve.
- first aid kit (one per team). Recommended: Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight .7, or build your own based on its contents
- cell phone with fully charged battery (one per team). For use as a camera or in case of emergency only. Using your cell phone for navigation is not allowed and will get you disqualified.
- water purification, drops or filter, one per team
- way to keep maps dry (one per team) **Maps will not be waterproof
- Bug Repellent
- Extra pair of socks
- altimeter and knowledge of its use (Highly recommended. Please note that GPS devices are not allowed to track altitude or distance. Bike odometers are okay as long as they don’t use a satellite signal).
- Long pants for off-trail travel (if you wear shorts, your legs are guaranteed to get scratched!)
- duct tape (you never know what might need fixing!)
- running gaiters
- extra layers depending on weather. You never know what you might get in June!
- Map board for bike
Mandatory bike gear:
- Mountain Bike (we recommend a tune-up before race day…a broken bike mid-race is a big bummer!)
- Bike Helmet
- spare tube
- pump or CO2 canisters (at least one per team)
- tool kit (one per team)
- red blinking light (24 hour racers only, for all night riding)
- head lamp or handlebar light (24 hour racers only, for all night riding)
Mandatory paddle gear:
**Please note that racers must provide their own boats and paddling gear. Check out Peaked Sports in Driggs, Teton River Supply in Driggs, and Hawkes Canoes in Tetonia for boat rental options. We have yet to find a good place in Swan Valley for boat rental but will let you know if we find out more.
- Any kind of non-motorized watercraft (ex: Canoe, Inflatable kayak, pack raft, SUP, etc.)
- PFD (with whistle attached)
- 2 green glow sticks per boat (24 hour racers only)
- 1 green glow stick or strobe light per person to be placed above clavicle level on helmet or shoulder of PFD (24 hour racers only)
- Zipties to attach glow sticks to boat and person (24 hour racers only)
- way to keep gear dry and attached to watercraft (i.e. drybag, sturdy garbage bag, straps)
- GPS devices or any device that uses a satellite connection for navigation, distance, or elevation purposes. Please note you are welcome to track your race with a GPS device for future reference, but it may NOT be accessed during the race at all (i.e. seal it up and keep it in the bottom of your backpack). Some GPS watches will allow you to disable all GPS features and just use barometric altitude. This is OK as your altimeter but please come knowing in advance how to set your watch up this way. Racers caught using GPS during the race will be penalized or DQ’ed!
- No Firearms on course
- No E-Bikes